Skip to main content

A Very Merry Christmas

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Christmas was extra fun this year - my six and sixteen year old nieces were in town. It's been so long since I have been able to spend some time with them! The six year old is an absolute hoot - never a dull moment. It was wonderful to see the excitement through a child's eyes again. And, the younger one loves her Uncle Marty so much! She kept wanting to dance with him the way they danced at our wedding - how funny she remembers that moment. While the older one is not as outgoing & prefers the laptop and phone over family time, it was so good to spend time with her as well. I love those two girls & miss them.
To top off a great Christmas, Marty and I actually got to spend two entire days together - it was the best! It is so rare that we are home all day on the same days. Our days off never seem to match up!
The only downside this year was the family telling me I need to have a baby there next Christmas. I know they mean nothing by those comments, but if they only knew how bad I wish this could be true. Most of them don't know that Marty & I started trying to have a baby in April. January will make month 10 of trying & month 6 of being on medication. In the last few months I have been through an array of emotions - excitement, disappointment, sadness, jealousy - you name it, I've been there. And, it seems as though no one really understands. I know a few people who tried for years to get pregnant that I could talk to, but I don't feel right complaining to them - because 10 months is such a small comparison of time to their years of trying. Then there are the others who could get pregnant by simply saying the word baby. I definitely can't talk to them, as much as they try to understand. Despite all of these emotions. I know this is not in my hands, and when God decides the time is right we will be blessed with a baby. For now, I will spoil my nieces.


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Sully

Fifteen days after my last blog post, you know the one 10 months ago, we were supposed to have a call with our adoption agency to hit pause and take a break. After 3 failed matches we needed time to heal before jumping back in.

That day, November 14,  I was at work when our social worker's number popped up on my phone. I was in the middle of a work project so thought I would just call her back later. I was putting off having the call to go inactive as long as possible. Because as much as we needed to heal, my heart also broke at the thought of missing out on the baby that was meant to be ours. Less than 10 minutes later the agency number popped up, so I decided to answer and let them know we could chat later in the day.

I was not expecting the words on the other end of the phone. "Ashley, we have a healthy baby boy who was born two days ago. He is ready to be discharged from the hospital, and his birth mom has chosen you to be his parents. If you want to proceed you need to g…

Finalization Day

Finalization day was so special for us, so we invited along one of my dearest friends who is also a photographer to capture the day. This friend has been there for us every step of the way, not only as a friend but also capturing our special moments.

When the judge announced that he granted the adoption and name change to be officially Benton, I about lost it. That is until Benton let out the cutest squeal of excitement. I think he was excited it was official as well! 
These pictures were too cute not to share. So, here are a few from finalization day!


Well guys, 8 weeks we were matched this time. But now we are back to being a waiting family. I honestly don't know where to start with this one. The last few days have been a whirlwind.

On Tuesday (5 days ago) the birth mom texted that she was having contractions and going to the hospital. Being 28 weeks pregnant, I assumed it was Braxton Hicks. Not long after that text, less than hour, our agency called. I assumed they were just telling me the same news. Instead they were telling me they were going to send over the records from the birth mom's last two appointments, but also that there was a note on the records about there being a pregnancy complication related to the baby being at high risk for a lifelong disability/disabilities. The agency said to hold tight until she could get back to the doctor and go under more testing.

Less than hour after that called, the birth mom's mom called me and said they couldn't stop contractions and she was dilated 7cm. Baby was coming…