Skip to main content

Hopes, Dreams, Prayers

It has been quite some time since I have updated this. Wow, so much has happened since my last post.
We are still trying for a baby . . . after three attempts with clomid and 0 results, we were referred to a fertility specialist in April. After testing, we were told our only hope of becoming parents would be doing in vitro fertilization (IVF) with ICSI. This came as quite the shock - not quite what I was expecting. Not to mention, it comes with the nice price tag of $15,000.
I felt as though my childhood dream of becoming a mom had been taken away from me in a 15 minute consultation. Yet I didn't cry until I got back to work after the appointment . . . when I started telling my co-workers, who are also some of my closest friends. Yes, I went back to work because I knew if I went home I would lose it.
The doctor told us there was 4-5 month waiting list to do IVF, so if we wanted to do it this year we would need to make a decision soon. Luckily, my parents offered to pay for most of the procedure. Once that weight was lifted it only made sense to proceed. So I called and made the appointment for week of retrieval to be September 19, meaning I would start medications in July/August. We hit some bumps along the way with the staff at the doctor's office who had us second guessing our decision. As it turns out, my cycle started to early to be on schedule anyway, so it would have to be pushed back.
Because I was not 100% confident we were at the right doctor for us, I made an appointment with a doctor in Atlanta. He came highly recommended, and I felt like this would be the place for us. But nothing can be perfect.  I got a call from  the Atlanta doctor at the first of September,  a few weeks prior to our consulation, to go over insurance coverage. I knew going in that my insurance covers no fertility charges, however, was not prepared that because this doctor was out of network all testing would also be out of pocket. This would add between $5,000 and $10,000 to the cost of the IVF. Not to mention travel expenses. There was no way we could afford this! I had never been so confused at this point  . . what do we need to do?! I prayed about it and told God I need a sign to fall in front of my face and tell me which direction to take.
That afternoon my prayers were answered. My original doctor in Memphis called to see if we still wanted to proceed, which gave me a chance to tell them my disappointments in the service I had received in the months prior. I even told them I had an appointment elsewhere to explore my options. The nurse responded quite well to this and went over all of my questions and concerns. I finally felt like I had someone there who would give me the understanding I needed. We went over a new schedule and determined that the new retrieval week would be October 24 . . . only to find out there were no availabilities. The next opening was December 5. We booked for that week so that we would have a for sure appointment, but also call if anyone cancelled for 10/24. Not even 15 minutes later she called . . . someone had cancelled for the week I needed. To me, this was the answer to my prayers. I needed to be in Memphis, not Atlanta.
Since that call we have been moving forward with the protocol.
We are only a month out from our week of retrieval . . . so close it is hard to believe.
I pray the IVF will work and our prayers will be answered that our hopes and dreams of becoming parents will be fulfilled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gone

Well guys, 8 weeks we were matched this time. But now we are back to being a waiting family. I honestly don't know where to start with this one. The last few days have been a whirlwind.

On Tuesday (5 days ago) the birth mom texted that she was having contractions and going to the hospital. Being 28 weeks pregnant, I assumed it was Braxton Hicks. Not long after that text, less than hour, our agency called. I assumed they were just telling me the same news. Instead they were telling me they were going to send over the records from the birth mom's last two appointments, but also that there was a note on the records about there being a pregnancy complication related to the baby being at high risk for a lifelong disability/disabilities. The agency said to hold tight until she could get back to the doctor and go under more testing.

Less than hour after that called, the birth mom's mom called me and said they couldn't stop contractions and she was dilated 7cm. Baby was coming…

A Match!

On Saturday, August 27, I was 8 hours from home in an Old Navy in Indianapolis buying jeans and a shirt to wear to the Colts' game that night. I was there for work to record a TV spot the next day with a Colts' player  . . . I stay on the back side of the camera, ha. I had driven the last half of our trip that day, so I hadn't checked my phone in about 4 hours. I decided I should check my email while there in line. Since it was a Saturday I wasn't expecting much, but I had an email from our agency about an opportunity to be shown. This wasn't this first time to see one of these emails; some we said yes to but the birth family chose someone else, others we said no to because we weren't 100% certain with the situation presented. So I glanced through the email, forwarded to M, and sent him a text to check his email. Nothing out of the norm. Since it was time to pay, I decided I would look at it in a bit once my coworker and I got to dinner and a little more settle…

Baby Sully

Fifteen days after my last blog post, you know the one 10 months ago, we were supposed to have a call with our adoption agency to hit pause and take a break. After 3 failed matches we needed time to heal before jumping back in.

That day, November 14,  I was at work when our social worker's number popped up on my phone. I was in the middle of a work project so thought I would just call her back later. I was putting off having the call to go inactive as long as possible. Because as much as we needed to heal, my heart also broke at the thought of missing out on the baby that was meant to be ours. Less than 10 minutes later the agency number popped up, so I decided to answer and let them know we could chat later in the day.

I was not expecting the words on the other end of the phone. "Ashley, we have a healthy baby boy who was born two days ago. He is ready to be discharged from the hospital, and his birth mom has chosen you to be his parents. If you want to proceed you need to g…